by Bruce Varner
Examine the Holy Scriptures closely and you will see that although God’s offer of forgiveness of sins and eternal life is free and simple, it is also very offensive to mankind. God’s offer is offensive to man’s pride, intellect, will, morality, self-esteem, self-righteousness, self-image, and religion. Men of philosophy, theology, science, business, psychology, psychiatry, religion, government, and education find the offer offensive (Galatians 5:11; I Peter 2:6-8) for the following reasons:
1. The Bible asserts that all men and women are morally ruined, and filthy (Isaiah 64:6; Romans 3:10-12; Ecclesiastes 7:10; Psalm 53:3).
2. The Bible asserts that all men and women are condemned sinners and need to be “saved”—forgiven and given eternal life (Romans 3:19, 5:18; John 3:16-21, 36).
3. The Bible asserts that all persons are completely incapable of meriting or earning mercy, forgiveness, or eternal life (John 10:27-29, 17:2; Romans 3:10-23, 10:1-4; I Timothy 1:15; Hebrews 7:25).
4. The Bible asserts that unless Jesus “saves” a soul, that soul will be damned forever in a lake of fire (Revelation 20:15, 21:8; II Thessalonians 1:8,9).
5. The Bible asserts that man’s religion is corrupted and incapable of helping him (Matthew 23:9; I Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 10:11; Titus 3:5; Philippians 2:1-9; Romans 10:1-4). Historically, man’s religion has been used for enslavement, manipulation, oppression, thievery, persecution, and the subversion of governments. It is laden with hypocrisy, murder, and war.
6. The Bible asserts that every person is mentally fallen—human thoughts and thought processes are corrupted and alienated from God and must repent and yield to the Holy Spirit of God (Colossians 1:21; II Timothy 3:7, 2:24-26; I Timothy 2:4; I Corinthians 2:11,14; John 15:26,27, 16:7,8).
7. The Bible asserts that Jesus Christ must do for man what man cannot do for himself; that man is helpless and needs a Savior (Hebrews 10:10-12; I Peter 2:21, 3:18; I John 2:2, 4:8,9; Romans 5:6).
8. The Bible asserts that man’s salvation is completely dependent upon the work, authority, mercy, and pardon of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 1:11-12, 3:16-18, 8:24, 14:6).
9. The Bible asserts that every person must repent—acknowledge his/her ruined condition, believe the Gospel, and call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation—or perish (I Corinthians 15:1-4; Romans 10:9-13).
For these and other reasons, God’s offer is offensive to mankind. People are unwilling to see themselves as the Bible describes us—sinful, ruined, guilty, condemned, helpless, weak, incapable, needy, and completely dependent. This is just too humiliating and humbling. Simply put, people reject the free offer of forgiveness of sins and eternal life because in order to accept God’s offer and to receive Jesus Christ as their Savior, they must first acknowledge that they are ruined, guilty, condemned, hell-bound sinners, and that ONLY Jesus Christ is able to forgive them and give them eternal life—“save” them. This is an act of repentance and the sinful, deceitful, religious, and rebellious heart of man finds this too offensive and refuses God’s offer (Romans 10:1-4). How about you? Does the Bible offend you? Or will you repent and receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? Will you bow before Jesus Christ right now and in prayer to Him ask Him to save your soul? The Bible assures you that, “Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus) shall be saved” (Romans 10:9-17). Please call on Him NOW.
by Bruce Varner
Original article can be found at http://www.bbfchurch.net/pastors-corner-20/The-Offensive-Book-50105