by Jim Kilgore
Colossians 1:10: “That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God.”
II Peter 3:18: “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen. “
Both of the above verses speaks of growing in the Knowledge of God!!
Psalm 46:10: “Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.”
- In December 2012, God had burdened my heart to something truly spectacular for Him in this season of life. One of those requests was to win at least two people to Christ EVERY week of the year.
- Another request was to get to Know God on a much deeper level than ever before.
A lot us know ABOUT God, but do we REALLY know God? Are we close to Him? Is He near to our hearts? Are we living each day with the complete awareness that God is living within us, and Sees; Knows; and is Aware of all that we Think, Say, or Do?
What is your desire in the “Relationship” you have with God?
Yes, we know ABOUT God, but this is not enough this year—for this is only INTELLECTUAL!
I want to Really Know God Intimately!!
Please turn to Psalm 42: 1: This year, as I am nearer Heaven I find a yearning deep in my soul!! I not only want to know God; but I desperately want people to truly see what a life spent with Jesus really looks like!!
Romans 8:29: “.. to be conformed to the image of his Son…”
- Eph. 5: 1: “Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children.”
How does Scripture DESCRIBE Intimacy with God?
1. John 10:11 describes one way: A Shepherd with his Sheep. So close to his sheep, he would be willing to die for them!
2. Isaiah 54:5 & Jer. 31:32 mentions God as The Husband & Ephesians 5: speaks of Jesus being the Bridegroom with the Church as His Bride!! A good husband will do anything for his wife and Family!! There is a closeness in my marriage that no one else even comes close to Bonnie!
3. A Parent-Child relationship. Any of us would do ANYTHING for our Children. We love them; want to spend time with them;
Romans 8:15: Abba lit. “Daddy” Do you see God as your Father?
Think of all He does for us as His Children.
Intimacy with God WILL lead you to the place where you become known in Heaven as:
- A Friend of God as Abraham. Turn to James 2:23 please. Class: What was there in Abraham’s life that led God to call him His friend? His Obedience: Gen. 11:31; Ur was highly advanced; well ahead of its time. He ‘Willingly’ left a Beautiful and modern city in order to obey God.
Gen. 12: 1-4; Later, was willing to obey even though it meant the sacrifice of his Son.
2. To be known in Heaven as one : ”Who Walked with God”
Only two people in the Bible is it said of, that he walked with God!
Read Genesis 5:22 & 24 and Genesis 6:9:
Why do you suppose that it was only said of two men out of the 1,181 men mentioned in the Bible that Scripture says, “They walked with God?” In a future article, we will Search the Scriptures to see what is involved in Walking with God!!
3. To be known in Heaven as: “A Man after God’s own Heart!” Acts 13:32.
Today has just been the beginning to what I believe will be a Life-Changing study in ALL our lives.
- God desires us to walk with Him intimately;
- God desires us to yearn and long to spend time with Him;
- God desires us to become His close Friend as was Abraham.
It is Possible to be known in these ways, but it will not be easy!! Will you take this journey with me this year?
Perhaps you can share with us the struggles you face in walking with God.
Original article can be found at http://jimkilgoreministries.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/gods-plea-to-the-christian-lets-get-better-acquainted/